Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Something I Wish I Would Have Done

For those of you in the process of adopting, or planning on adopting, here is a big tip for you when tracking your expenses.

We're finalizing our taxes, or the request for more information part. We kept all the receipts from travel and adoption expenses, but not in a neat and organized way. This part would have been so much easier if I hadn't had to deal with this:

This is the folder I kept everything adoption related in, and I've still lost things. If I were to do it all again, which we may one day, I would start a spread sheet and number each receipt, each dollar I spent on ANYTHING adoption related. I'd organize it by date, and then by what the receipt was for. I'd put it all in a nice binder with clear pockets for each month. And, when in country, I'd write on the receipt or on a sheet attached to the receipt what it is and what it is for. I've translated several receipts today only to still not know what it is. I could kick myself for not being organized this past year. But, when you're throw twelve receipts in Russian, are jet-lagged, and missing your family, the last thing you want to do is work on a spreadsheet and get organized.

Hope this helps...

No comments:

Post a Comment