Friday, July 6, 2012

Missed Firsts

When we decided to adopt Louba, I knew I was going to be missing several of her milestones: her first words, her first steps, the first smile, laugh, cry. But, we went into adoption not looking for a baby. We wanted a toddler. I've thought about those firsts many times over the past few months that she's been home. I don't know what she was like the day she was born. I don't know how she felt when she heard her Russia mommy's voice for the first time out of the womb. I realized I've missed three and half years of first with her. I thought about it again today when we drove by the hospital John David was born in. I don't know what her hospital looks like.

What I do know, is I get to experience years of firsts with her. I got to see her first steps on American soil. I got to hear her first English words. I got to see her go to her first day of preschool, her first night with her forever family. I get to experience with her her first crush, her first kiss, her first broken heart, her first A on a test she studies all night for, and many, many more firsts that her Russia mommy doesn't get to see.

Am I sad that I'm not part of those firsts firsts? A little. But I'm so excited about what the next years hold for her and our family.


Her first 4th of July!!

No comments:

Post a Comment